Monday, 2 April 2012

Diaries

I am an obsessive diary and journal keeper.  I have kept a diary since 1997 when I was 13.  Back then, it started out as just documenting what i did that day.  Gradually I started using it more to vent about conversations i had with people (boy, was I detailed!), bitching about people I hated, boys I loved, Hanson, Backstreet Boys etc etc.  Then I saw 'The Basketball Diaries' (a movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio in his youth) in grade 9 or 10 and I desperately wanted to keep a journal more like the character in the movie.  Strangely enough, it was around that time that i first had my heart completely broken by a boy, and I found it impossible to complete the rest of my diary from October 13th 2000 - i found my pain and heartbreak too much to handle writing about, and as such, all of my memories for the end of year ten were lost, because I stopped writing and didn't start again until 2001.  That was when I started my journal in a not so rigid day-to-day blow by blow account, ala Jim Carroll on the Basketball Diaries.  that first journal was even all black, to try and match his.
Over the years, these journals have multiplied in number.  I have filled probably 10 or more notebooks, each with 300 pages or so.  this probably barely compares to the number of some other people - over time i have gotten lazy, or less dependant on them - i only write in them when i feel the need these days.  But they are still ever there.
On top of that, I have art journals, and a happiness notebook, and a dream diary which i am trying to remember to put my dreams in... and my blog(s)!. 
So many notebooks filling my house with all my brain juice. 
But the funny thing is that while I have all of those things, the one thing i am missing is a notebook I kept in high school that had all my favourite quotes, poems, song lyrics, ideas etc.  I lost it when i moved back to my home city after living away for awhile - I couldn't find it when I unpacked my stuff and i think it was in a box of DVDs that 'never made it' off the removalist truck - presumed stolen.  My DVDs have since been replaced and stuff, but that notebook has left some weird kind of void in my mind.  Every now and then i think to myself, oh yeah there was a quote from Shakespeare that I loved, if only I had that book...
I have contemplated starting a new one.  Lord knows I have enoguh empty notebooks here to fulfil that purpose.  But my chronological brain can't handle starting a new one without the old one.
I hate to think some awful removalist was going through the dvd box and just chucked it in the bin. 
So, now that I have typed this blog entry, I realised that my brain was the only obstacle standing in my way, as per usual.  I aint getting the book back, and I sure as hell will never get to fill the last of those pages, so I am better off to start a new one than to have none at all.
I would love to know if anyone who reads this out there in the weboland - if there is anyone out there in weboland who reads my blogs - if there are quotes you live by or song lyrics or poems that you could give me to start me off.... cos I don't know where to start!!

In the meantime, if you have ever found a little notebook with a green hologrphic cover... that's mine, biatch!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love quotes and started a little book a while ago, emphasis on the "started"! The book is definitely one of my UFOs!! A favourite of mine is "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about journals, though, is that there is no time line for them to be finished! if it takes ten years to fill, then so be it!! if you write every day for a month then never again for three years.... its all good!! i think that is why i am so good at keeping a journal lol :D

      Delete